The Viennale: the Austrian film festival in Vienna
National and international film premieres are coming to Viennese cinemas in October
Since 1978, October in Vienna has been all about film. At the Viennale, the Austrian film festival in the city of Vienna, both national and international filmmakers present their latest productions each year. The two weeks of the festival are filled with public events including film premieres, audience discussions, exhibitions and concerts in five different cinemas. Don’t miss this autumn in Vienna, when the festival brings film stars and movie lovers together once again in a blaze of culture.
The Viennale at a glance
- Austria’s most important international film event
- 14 days in October
- Screenings in five of the city’s beautiful cinemas: Gartenbaukino, Urania, Metro Kino, Stadtkino, the Austrian Film Museum and the Künstlerhaus
- Screenings of 300 films by national and international producers
- Film premieres, audience discussions, exhibitions, concerts and new program additions
- The Harmonie Vienna boutique hotel is just a few kilometres away from the movie theatres of the Viennale
365 days of culture in Vienna: the film festival in summer, theatre and opera all year round
The metropolis of Vienna presents famous cultural events on more occasions than just the autumn Viennale. In summer, enjoy the wildly popular open-air Music Film Festival at the Rathausplatz, where you can watch live broadcasts of films, operas and dance performances in the city centre. Fans of the theatre or opera can spend their evenings in the famous theatres and opera houses of the city all year round. Whether you prefer the Burgtheater, Volksoper or Schauspielhaus theatre, Vienna truly is the culture capital – at any time of year.